Many of us are surrounded by people who have negative approach towards the Dental Profession. Staying arround such people... we also start to think negatively.
I know dental profession is getting tough day by day. I agree salary of a BDS graduate is less than a labourer’s salary under MNREGA. I know PG seats are limited. Not only this but even after doing Postgraduation (MDS), the salaries in academics are shrinking these days. Dental Clinic is no more a cakewalk as everyone wants to start dental practice management in a city which is already overcrowded with too many clinics. Many of you are leaving the profession to study MPH/MHA or to work at Pharmacovigilance data centers.
But still I believe that we are in one of the best professions in India. We are the Kings/Queens at our places of work. Do not loose your heart... Follow the 7 golden tips for successful Dental Practice.
1. Clinical Skills: Master minimally in basic dental procedures before setting up your own practice such as Extractions, RCT, Esthetic Cosmetic Work, FPD, CD.
2. Invest Sensibly: Whenever you open up your practice, do not waste your money much on interiors & show business initially. Instead invest in dental materials and equipments. Trust me nobody bothers it if you are good at your work. I have seen people investing 70% in showbiz & 30% on Dental materials/equipments.
Result: You know they cry after 6 months.
3. Have Patience: It will be fruitful only if you remain calm. Dentistry is like every other business. In the 1st year of your practice you pay from your pocket. In 2nd year you reach a break even point i.e there is NO PROFIT NO LOSS. Its only from the 3rd year that you start to earn.
Suppose you are relocating after practicing for 4-5 years at some place; then regardless of your experience you will still have to have patience because your practice takes average 3 years to show profitability.
4. Keep Control on Yourself: Do not do Superman stuff in the initial years of your practice. Its very difficult to earn a name but very easy to spoil your name. Do case selection very effectively. If you don't have confidence about the case then either call a specialist or refer it to some experienced doctor. This way you might loose some money but you will make sure that it won't spoil your name.
6. Money Factor: Never underestimate youself. Charging less is not going to help you in long term. (Read The Price War In Dentistry By Dr.Pranav Agale). Never let the patient bargain; better let him/her go if he/she tries to bargains. Most of them will come back to you for the treatment at your described costs within a week after visiting 2-3 clinics in their vicinity. Always remember good things never come cheap.
TELL ME IF ANY PATIENT BARGAINS WITH AN EYE SURGEON OR A HEART SURGEON? THEN WHY US???
7. Marketing: Do regular marketing for your clinic. Because your clinic is just like a CORPORATE firm and you are the boss (MD). So you have to do all sorts of advertisements (ofcourse ethically) to let patient's know that YOU EXIST.
MORE INPUTS FROM SENIORS AND FRIENDS ARE WELCOME.